Sheriff Releases Statement on Family Members Possible Involvement in Nancy’s Disappearance

The disappearance of 84 year old Nancy Guthrie has already been painful enough for her loved ones. Now, online speculation has added another layer of anguish.

In recent days, rumors have circulated on X suggesting, without evidence, that members of the Guthrie family may somehow be involved in her abduction. Much of the chatter focused on Annie Guthrie, Nancy’s daughter, and Annie’s husband, Tommaso Cioni, who reportedly dropped Nancy off at her Catalina Foothills home the night she vanished.

The Pima County Sheriff’s Office has now stepped in to shut that down.

In a press release issued February 16, the department made its position clear. “To be clear…the Guthrie family – to include all siblings and spouses – has been cleared as possible suspects in this case. The family has been nothing but cooperative and gracious and are victims in this case,” the statement read.

Sheriff Chris Nanos did not mince words. “To suggest otherwise is not only wrong, it is cruel. The Guthrie family are victims plain and simple…please, I’m begging you the media to honor your profession and report with some sense of compassion and professionalism.”

Nancy Guthrie was last seen on January 31 at her Tucson area home. When she failed to show up for church the following day, authorities were alerted. Investigators later found blood droplets on her front porch. Surveillance footage from her Nest camera captured a masked individual near the home, at one point attempting to cover the lens with leaves.

Those are the facts investigators are working with.

The department’s firm statement comes after mixed messaging earlier in the week. The Daily Mail reported that Sheriff Nanos had previously said no one had been fully cleared, including family members. He expressed frustration at the speed and intensity of online accusations, particularly toward Cioni, who was the last known person to see Nancy before she returned home from a family dinner and game night about ten minutes away.

“People out there can get pretty ugly and mean and nasty and not have the facts,” Nanos said. He warned against branding someone a suspect without evidence, especially when that person is part of the victim’s family.

As the investigation continues, authorities have not publicly identified any suspects. What is clear is that speculation on social media can spread faster than verified information.

For now, law enforcement says the Guthrie family is cooperating and should be regarded as victims, not suspects, while the search for answers continues.

More Reading

Post navigation

Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *